American friends – the time has FINALLY come for you to visit us!!
Here are the details you need to know!
This is currently only in effect for fully vaccinated US Citizens and Permanent Residents (there are other rules for non vaccinated and partially vaccinated Americans)
You must have received the FULL dose of a Health Canada Approved Vaccine (Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, Asterzeneca or Johnson and Johnson) at least 14 days prior to entry to be considered fully vaccinated
Unvaccinated minors younger than 12 years entering Canada with vaccinated parents or guardians will not have to quarantine for 14 days
Fully vaccinated travellers will NOT need a post arrival test unless they have been randomly selected at the port of entry to complete a COVID 19 molecular test
Travellers must follow all provincial and territorial public health measures
You must upload the ARRIVECAN APP no sooner than 72 hours before arriving at border and complete before arrival at border. You will receive a QR Code which you must present to customs officer upon arrival at border.
Leave click here to download the ARRIVECAN APP on your Apple Phone
Call Barry 807-929-2266 with any questions
This information is accurate to the best of our knowledge at this time
FAQs About the Border
Do travellers still require a negative COVID-19 test taken 72hr prior to entering Canada?
Yes. All travellers must take a PCR (molecular) test with a negative result taken within 72hrs of crossing the border.
What are the requirements for children under the age of 12?
Unvaccinated children under the age of 12 travelling with fully vaccinated parents must meet all other required criteria to enter Canada, including submitting information electronically through ArriveCAN and all testing requirements (which includes the pre-arrival test).
Do unvaccinated children between the ages of 13 and 18 need to quarantine?
From what has been released to date it appears that non-vaccinated individuals between the age of 12 and 18 will need to quarantine for 14 days. We are still looking for specifics on this age gap.
Will non-vaccinated or half-vaccinated Americans be permitted to enter Canada if they are able and willing to quarantine?
Entry to Canada will continue to be prohibited for U.S. travellers who are not fully vaccinated and for all other foreign nationals, unless they already meet an exemption set out in the Orders made under the Quarantine Act.
Is there a fee attached to the ArriveCAN app?
ArriveCAN is a free and secure app. The Government put out a statement warning people of scam apps pretending to be ArriveCAN asking for payment information. Click here for more information on the ArriveCAN app.
What constitutes as a proper quarantine plan?
- The quarantine plan is mandatory for anyone entering Canada, regardless if they are fully vaccinated.
- Quarantine locations should be their vacation destination
- Guests who are randomly selected for a test and test positive can choose to do their quarantine at their quarantine location here in Canada OR they can leave to go home.
- We suggest that operators have a cabin reserved as a self-isolation location for the guest that tests positive.
Are there any testing or quarantine requirements for Americans returning to the USA?
As it currently stands, there are no testing or quarantine requirements for Americans returning to the US by land border crossing. There are testing requirements for Americans returning to the US via air. The COVID-19 situation is continuously evolving therefore this may change. We will update the industry if there are any changes.
What are all the steps our US guests will need to take prior to entering Canada?
- Must have received the full series of a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of approved vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca, Johnson & Johnson)
- Must have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada
- Upload information into the ArriveCAN app (this app is free and secure)
- All information must be inputted into the ArriveCAN app within 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada.
- The app will ask you to input contact information for you and the people you are travelling with, purpose of trip, date of arrival, port of entry, proof of vaccination, and your quarantine plan.
- For the quarantine plan, input the location where you will be staying while in Canada (i.e. the lodge).
- Must have a negative COVID-19 molecular* test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival (view accepted tests). Antigen tests are not accepted.
- Must be asymptomatic upon arrival
- Upon arrival, the border officer will ask you for your ArriveCAN receipt, proof of vaccination, negative COVID-19 test results and other typical documentation.
What types of COVID-19 pre-arrival tests will be accepted by CBSA?
These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests – antigen tests are not accepted*:
- PCR – Polymerase chain reaction
- RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
- Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
- Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
- Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
- Isothermal amplification
- Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
- Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
- RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
- Ct (cycle threshold)
- Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
- Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
- Detection of the N gene
- Detection of Orf1a/b
- Detection of the S gene
- Detection of the E gene
- Detection of the RdRp gene
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample. At this time, proof of having a vaccine will not replace a negative test result. Here are links that NOTO members have shared with us that may help your guests find a testing site:
- Please make sure to advise your guests that antigen tests are not accepted.
If someone had COVID-19 and have recovered, would that count as proof of immunity/vaccination?
No. All individuals must be fully vaccinated and have proof of vaccination in order to enter Canada. Entry to Canada will continue to be prohibited for U.S. travellers who are not fully vaccinated and for all other foreign nationals, unless they already meet an exemption set out in the Orders made under the Quarantine Act.
You can view all the details that the Canadian Government expects from fully-vaccinated travellers here. This page will be updated as we approach August 9th. You can also share with your guests the backgrounder which also highlights all the pre-entry requirements for fully vaccinated Americans that will come in effect on August 9th.
We are still gathering more details on the random testing process and will share ASAP.